2K views

i ordered a whisky flask for my father from light in the box. I was shocked when the shipping cost was £9.46 but i paid it because the whisky flast was only £9.93 including engraving which seemed like a bargain...

Today UPS delivered my order, the guy said

"Here's your parcel, but you cant have it unless you pay me £15.98 NOW in customs charges!"

I was so shocked. i've never had this before and regularly order items from oversea's places like america. the postage charge i pay always includes customs taxes already. but evidently my £9.46 DID NOT!!

I expressed my shock and disgust the the ups guy who said

"this company (light in the box) is a joke love, this happens all the time, Let me guess is it something for a wedding? i said yes its a gift for my dad and he said well im sorry love but this always happens and i cant give you the goods unless you pay the customs charge."

I can honestly say at no point did their website tell me i was to pay import taxes on delivery, it will be there im sure but in very very small print.

so basically my bargain whiskey flask cost me £9.93 (BARGAIN) PLUS £25.44 in postage and customs charges. im furious. To add insult to injury I opened it to find that its a shoddy piece of rubbish you could get from a market stall and its cost me £35.37 in total. its that bad i'm not giving it to my dad because i'd feel embarrased. So, im summary, the prices are so low because they FLEECE you on delivery charges, AND dont pay the tax, so when your goods arrive at your door you get hit with another bill. This time for MORE than the value of the items in said package. But you have no chioce by then, you either kiss goodbye to the items you've ordered and the money you've already spent, or you spend another considerable amount paying the tax to get your package. How this company are allowed to operate i dont know because ive since put a status about this on Facebook and ive got people commenting who've had the same experience, so i think we all need to go to watchdog.

Comments

Were you living under a rock if you didn't know customs from each country might charge you for imported goods?

And you do realize the UPS guy was just trying to avoid being cursed, right?

Because this is a worldwide phenomena.

LITB already offer a tax insurance which means that they will pay for the custom duties if you buy the insurance.

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada #1223093

Thanks for the warning

#972079

the same happend to me. was shocked but and embarrised as i ordered for some friends and i needed to tell them that now its dearer the product. Bad company

Scarborough, Ontario, Canada #906894

I too have this bad experience where I have ordered my shoes for $51 and now I had to pay a customs duty of $26.6 which is more than 50% of the total cost. This website "Light in the Box" is a cheat they should be banned.

, Curaçao #874107

I ordered a couple of coats and a few scarfs, for a very good price ($114). They had this special deal where you get "free fast shipping if you buy $80 or more".

I was so happy and excited when I made my order.

Waited during a couple of weeks, and when the day finally came BAM this guy from DHL calls me

-"Sir, we got your packet"

-"cool!"

-"It'll be $106 in taxes and managing costs"

-"wait... what?!" Right now I'm absolutely furious and dissapointed. I can't belive such a horrible company that basically scams costumers around the world is still running. I mean, seriously, they don't even tell you "you'll pay for taxes and managing costs!", nah they just catch you with the low prices and "free fast shipping".

Seriously, this needs to stop. Oh and I already emailed them several times in the last couple of days, no answer yet.

So right now I have 2 options: Give up my packet to DHL and lose the money ($114) I already paid, or pay $106 to get my packet. These people should be ashamed.

We had the same experience and we contacted the lightinthebox website customer service . Now we are just waiting to get a reply! Because I didnt not know of the extra charges so I will not pay!

Paris, Ile-De-France, France #748416

Blame customs. They are those who steel your money, not the company who actually does warn you (but only after one has made the purchase it appears) that there may be custom costs from the delivery company. The products must be quite poor but then that is rather inevitable considering the price.

#719431

I bought a wedding dress, thought I was getting a bargain until I got a threatening letter from DHL telling me I owed 80.31 pounds because Light in the box has not paid the fees

Company is a *** and do not make this clear when the order is at payment stage. Very dissapointed and annoyed! :(

:( I was not told that I would incur shipping costs when I placed the order, I was charged £31. 16p on the door for me to receive my parcels.

This was not highlighted at the point of order. You have fraudulently obtained money from me and I want it back, also I find that your quality of the product is very poor indeed, nothing like the pictures on-line, how do I get these back to you, without it costing me money, bearing in mind two of the items are dance wear, and your policy says that there in a 'no return' on such items. But they are not what they say on the on-line picture. I want a reply as soon as you can, I am a very, very, angry customer!!!!!!!!

I bought from you because of your prices, if I knew I was going to be billed at the door again, I would have thought twice about using your company. As a disabled Grandmother on low income, trying to find value for money for the grandchildren s Christmas presents .

SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!! :sigh

SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!! :sigh

Yesterday an Ups courier arrived with my order from Light in the box but would not hand over the box until I paid £19.80 so called custom charges. I couldn't believe it as I was not made aware of any extra charges when I checked the order out. This extra charge nearly doubled the price of my order. The shawls I bought were nice but are no way worth the extra I have had to pay for them! The guy from Ups said this happens all the time with this company and it left to the customer to pick up the charges that they have not paid.

I emailed Light in the box complaining about the extra charge and just received a generic email from them saying that the charges are out of their hands. I bet they send that email out all time as I know I am not the only one this has happen to.

I have ordered many things fron China in the past and this is the first time this has happened to me, how come everyone else can sort out the custom charges.

Light in the box's website looks great , but buyers beware, that bargain may not be all it seems.

I have also posted a review on their website about the extra charges, but surprise, surprise it's not there. Funny that!!

Dear Pinktink,

First we apologize for the inconvenience you've experienced. The tax policy differs from country to country, and we ship items to many countries in the world. So it is hard for us to provide all the information on our website.And the tax is also out of our control. Sorry again for the inconvenience you've experienced.

All the best,

LightInTheBox

Dear Pinktink,

All the best,

LightInTheBox

to LightInTheBox #1510040

So you just keep the money customers pay you in good faith? The "customs" issue happens too often for you to continue claiming your innocence. As trusting customers place orders and you process payments, do you sit back and laugh, patting yourself on the back knowing you have lured in more suckers??